Friends of NCC
A Vibrant School Community
At Nambour Christian College, we offer a dynamic learning environment that encourages every student to reach his or her true potential. The Nambour Christian College community supports our students as they learn and grow. Since our inception, this passionate group of individuals, families and local Sunshine Coast organisations has contributed greatly to the richness of school life at NCC.
Friends of Groups
A ‘partnership with parents’ is at the heart of effective learning and College life. The partnership is developed through regular communication, special parent-teacher opportunities and a variety of opportunities for practical engagement with staff and students.
Parents are involved in supporting learning through small group and individual reading programs as well as parents assisting in various activities as listed below in the Friends of Groups.
A significant engagement with parents occurs through the Friends of Groups where parents work alongside staff and students in a variety of co-curricular programs. The main activities of these groups are:
- Friends of Performance and Instrumental Music – ‘Showcase on the Green’ concert, Sunshine Coast Eisteddfod, fundraising for Band and Choir Trips
- Friends of the Farm (Berakah Miniatures Show Team) – working bees, core committee (help plan, manage, develop culture of BMST), rug and feed on weekends, assist at Agriculture Shows and training camps, carnival planning, organising and running stalls, set-up and clean-up and celebration night.
- Friends of Sport – assistance at sports carnivals and general assistance in the office.
- Friends of the Arts – mainly involvement in musical production including sewing, costume design, building, publicity, supervision at the theatre and camp help.
- Friends of Library – assisting with care, covering and catalogue of books and assistance in special events.
Carnival Under the Stars
Our annual Carnival Under the Stars has been running since 1984. This community event that attracts more than 4000 people each year and contributes to connecting families in our community and raising
financial support for many activities. Examples of projects funded in recent years are:
- Junior School playground equipment & shade sails
- Instruments for Year 4 Instrumental Music Program
- Shade sails over the College amphitheatre
- Sporting grants for students representing at state, national & international competitions
- Breeding stock and truck for the Berakah Farm miniature horse stud
- Contributions to Fiji, Malawi and Thailand student mission trips
- Equipment for secondary school departments and library
- Support of the Creative & Performing Arts (CAPA) College Musicals and Arts Festivals
- Equipment for the Junior School chess program and gifted & talented program
- Books for the Junior School home reader program
- Equipment for Learning Enrichment and the Gross Motors Skills program
- Canoes for the College Outdoor Education program
- Gym equipment for the Health & Fitness Centre
- Furniture for the Library
As part of the fruitful partnership between our parents and the College, NCC has five active “Friends of ….” groups.
The groups are:
- Friends of Sport
- Friends of the Farm (Berakah Miniatures Show Team)
- Friends of Music (Instrumental Music)
- Friends of the Arts (Performing Arts)
- Friends of the Library
These groups are made up of staff and parents who work together to maximise the opportunities available for our students in these particular areas of the school. Parents are encouraged to join these “Friends of …” groups and enquiries can be made through Nicole Wykes by phoning 5451 3333 at the College or click here to send an email.